SARDINIA - EVIA - The Mediterranean basin is a hotspot of the climate crisis, with average temperatures rising above global trends. Heat waves, droughts and a combination of anthropogenic factors are provoking new generations of wildfires that are devastating for ecosystems and for human societies.
Summer 2021’s wildfires were particularly devastating in Southern Europe, and many studies are urging for mitigation measures. A cross-border investigation dug into the close relation between rural abandonment and uncontrolled wildering of woodlands/agricultural areas and climate change, as common causes of mega-fires in Cyprus, Greece, Italy and Spain. The investigation attempts to go beyond common headlines and reveal a change of paradigm needed to mitigate the unfolding climatic scenarios, in particular in areas already marginalized and economically fragile. The result of the investigation shows very similar patterns across the cases and gathers the human stories of those who survived the last season of wildfires, their fears and their perspectives for the future.
- Incendi e spopolamento, la spirale infernale del Mediterraneo - VoxEurop (Italy), 16/06/2022
- Brände und Entvölkerung in Südeuropa – ein Teufelskreis - VoxEurop (Germany), 16/06/2022
- Incendies et dépeuplement, une spirale infernale en Méditerranée - VoxEurop (France), 16/06/2022
- Οδού: Προσπαθούν να αναγεννήσουν τη γη πάνω στις στάχτες - Philenews (Cyprus), 19/06/2022
- L’equilibrio perduto tra paesaggio e incendi - TvSvizzera (Switzerland), 19/06/2022
- Looking after forests and bringing the people back – how to end the scourge of mega-fires - VoxEurop (English), 23/06/2022
- La despoblación y el abandono del sector primario condenan al bosque español - CIVIO (Spain), 23/06/2022
- Ολα μας θυμίζουν ότι εδώ τελέστηκε ένα έγκλημα - Efsyn (Greece), 25/06/2022
- Όλα μας θυμίζουν ότι εδώ τελέστηκε ένα έγκλημα - MIIR (Greece), 25/06/2022
need resources for your own investigative story?
Journalismfund.eu’s flexible grants programmes enable journalists to produce relevant public interest stories with a European mind-set from international, national, and regional perspectives.
support independent cross-border investigative journalism
We rely on your support to continue the work that we do. Make a gift of any amount today.